It's been a while since I've done anything with snow, but I wanted to give you all a glimpse of what I've been doing with it lately.
On the relatively peaceful plane of Frostmere, the Gargut glacier is receding, and something is coming out from underneath it. Only the Ahern forest stands between the glacier and the city of Tersh. Will the forest succumb to the fiery invaders from another plane? How will the red and black mana spewing out of the glacier affect the citizens of blue and white aligned Tersh?
I've sorted out the mechanics that will be included in the set. Here they are in all their glory:
- Snow, obviously. It's going to be doing a lot of stuff it hasn't before, like having enchantments that tap, as well as colorless snow spells and lots of cool stuff that affects snow cards.
- A lot of lands. Since the main focus of snow in the past has been lands, I'm making it a theme of Frostmere. There is a cycle each of common, uncommon and rare lands, as well as a mythic land. And that's just the Snow lands. There will be others as well.
- Red and black have cards that can easily get lands into your graveyard as well as cards that count the number of lands in your graveyard. (I apologize ahead of time for the placeholder art. There's probably going to be a lot more of that in the future. It's really difficult finding good art for these things.)
- Green has a lot of rejuvenating spells to heal the land that is being scorched by the Devils coming forth from the fissure under Gargut.
- Blue and white have a lot of ETB triggers on snow permanents, using a new ability word, Snowfall (to be previewed this week!).
- Mount! Every color gets at least one Mount creature, with the focus being on green and white.
- Mythic Legendary creatures of every color, and two new planeswalkers.
- Ice counters. Each color has ways to put ice counters on permanents and ways to use the counters for either good or ill.
- Lots and lots of Snow Creatures!
You can check out the history of snow in a blog I wrote a while back, here.
Over the next few weeks, I'll be fleshing out the set.
In the meantime, expect a few surprises on my brand new Facebook page, found here!