Sunday, September 16, 2012

Now I'm REALLY angry!

So, it turns out I'm lucky enough to win a contest.  The concept of the contest was to design a mechanic that works best in the Red Zone.  I'm currently trying to make a mechanic for each of the ten guilds, and this was the perfect opportunity to create a mechanic for the most Red Zone-y of the guilds - the Gruul.

I wanted something simple, powerful, and resonant.  Something that has an easy trigger, and is useful on creatures. Here's what I came up with:

Enrage (Whenever this creature is blocked, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)

Very simple.  Very resonant of what the Gruul are about.  Potentially very powerful.

Here's the simplest version of Enrage.






This week, we'll be exploring what we can do with this simple but powerful mechanic.

2 comments:

  1. Why not "Whenever this attacks..."?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That version is definitely a lot stronger, and a bit simpler. I wanted to make it be aggressively costed, and your version would make a 1/1 cost at least two mana in the simplest form.

    Of course, this could all be sorted out with playtesting; to see which of the two abilities feels better.

    ReplyDelete